From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] for the speakup users on the list
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 18:57:13
1 On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:28:50 -0400,
2 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 9:53 AM Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Yes, I am blind and can disassemble computers okay but never could learn
7 > > to assemble them since the equipment to test memory external to computers
8 > > has been and will remain inaccessible. This if it's done will have to be
9 > > done by a repair shop and likely will cost more to repair this machine
10 > > than replace it if that much work is involved.
13 > I was curious about speakup as I had not heard about it so I attempted
14 > an install on my Ubuntu desktop but it's not in the default repositories.
15 >
16 > Reading the Ubuntu docs they say speakup is applied as a kernel
17 > patch to 2.4 & 2.6 level kernels and that to use it with a modern
18 > version the patches would have to be ported. It appears that all
19 > the docs on speakup I found quickly stalled out in 2008-2010.
20 >
21 > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/doc/Speakup
22 >
23 > Do you know of newer work?
24 >
25 > I'm curious about the program from a persona point of
26 > view. When I started at National Semiconductor in 1978
27 > we had a cantankerous old guy working on text-to-speach
28 > synthesizers so I had a little bit of exposure.
29 >
30 > There are old Ubuntu releases here:
31 >
32 > https://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/
33 >
34 > If I can figure out what kernels they were running I could
35 > possibly try creating a VM and see where it leads me.
36 >
37 > Echoing Jack's comment, I'm not sure this is a heat
38 > sink problem. Misoperation at the time of letting
39 > go of the reset button prior to POST. If the machine is
40 > starting cold a processor wouldn't overheat that fast but
41 > I haven't yet read all of your thread.
42 >
43 > I think there's also an opportunity here to do some sort
44 > of remote debug with you if we can find anything that does
45 > boot.
46
47 Speakup works in most recent kernels, 5.10.x and it is now in the
48 mainstream kernel, but I forget what release it got in there. There
49 are two types of synthesizers, hardware and software. Most people use
50 software synthesizers these days, I still use a hardware synthesizer.
51 You might need the espeakup package to make it work, or speechdup
52 and speech-dispatcher.
53 I am pretty sure speakup is even in the net install of gentoo.
56 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
57 How do
58 you spend it?
59
60 John Covici wb2una