From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OOM memory issues
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 01:37:10
1 Kerin Millar <kerframil <at> fastmail.co.uk> writes:
4 > A new tunable, "oom_score_adj", was added, which accepts values between
5 > 0 and 1000.
6
7 > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/a63d83f#include/linux/oom.h
10 FANTASTIC! Exactly the sort of info I'm looking for learn the pass,
11 see what has been tried, how to configure it, and if it works/fails
12 when and why! Absolutely wonderful link!
15 > As mentioned there, the "oom_adj" tunable remains for reasons of
16 > backward compatibility. Setting one will adjust the other per the
17 > appropriate scale.
18
19 That said, the mechanism seem too simple minded to succeed in anything
20 but an extremely well monitored system. I think now the effort
21 particularly in clustering codes, is to only have basis memory monitoring
22 and control and leave the "fine grained" memory control needs to the
23 clustering tools. The simple solution is there (in clustering) you just
24 priortize jobs (codes), migrate to systems with spare resources, and bump
25 other process to lower priority states. Also, there are (in-memory)
26 codes like Apache-Spark, that use (RDD) Resilient Distributed Data.
27
28 > It doesn't look as though Karthikesan's proposal for a cgroup based
29 > controller was ever accepted.
30
31 I think many of the old kernel ideas, accepted or not, are being
32 "repackaged" in the clustering tools, or at least they are inspired
33 by these codes....
34
35 Dude, YOU are the main{}. Keep the info flowing, as I'm sure lots
36 of folks on this list are reading this .....
37
38 EXCELLENT!
41 > --Kerin
42