From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Exact setting in grub to default to a kernel by name?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 23:21:00
1 On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 18:57:49 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > When experimenting with this, I'll backup grub.cfg. If things go
4 > awry, boot with the USB key I used for the install, and copy back the
5 > old known working grub.cfg. I've done a first crack at this. I assume
6 > that nothing in /etc/default/grub will have any effect. Questions...
7
8 /etc/default/grub is only used when you call grub-mkconfig.
9
10 > 1) Is "insmod extfs3" necessary? I've built extfs3 into the kernels.
11
12 If the kernel is on an ext3 filesystem, yes. This is GRUB's module, it
13 uses it to read an ext3 filesystem in order to load the kernel.
14
15 > 2) I assume that the the first "menuentry" will be the default boot?
16
17 Yes, you'll see default=0 in the first part of grub.cfg.
18
19 > 3) Is the default timeout still 5 seconds?
20
21 Not sure on that one, but look at grub.cfg.
22
23 > 3) I assume that 640x480 is supported on just about every monitor
24 > out there. I want as large text as possible. My eyes are getting
25 > old... just like me.
26
27 My eyes are better than they were 40 years ago but don't ask about my
28 hearing, or if you must, do it loudly...
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Documentation: (n.) a novel sold with software, designed to entertain the
35 operator during episodes of bugs or glitches.