From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] License question for jdk
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:18:45
1 On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:59:20 +0200
2 Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > > (As an aside I had thought idedtea replaced the need for oracle/sun
5 > > 's jdk. I do have installed sun/oracle 's java-sdk-docs.)
6 >
7 > That's true. You can unmerge the sun-jdk and emerge icedtea instead.
8 > In my experience, icedtea did not work for everything. That might
9 > have changed, but I still use the oracle jdk.
10
11 That's been my experience too.
12
13 The Java platform defines many sub-packages for all sorts of
14 APIs. Turns out that some of them are proprietary or restricted in
15 interesting ways. Sometimes it's not even the entire package, just a
16 part of it.
17
18 The upshot is that OpenJDK does not contain the is code and every now
19 and then you try run something with OpenJDK that's in one of these
20 packages.
21
22 Supremely annoying. The last case we had is a Java app that prints to
23 pdf files. This function only works in sun-jdk due to some svg-to-pdf
24 converter
27 Alan McKinnnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com