From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 06:32:29
1 On Wed, June 26, 2013 01:29, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 25/06/2013 23:44, Mick wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 21:59:20 Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > Unless that is, Dell's website is using the PR/Marketing definition of
7 > what RAID is. By definition, no-one that ever reads this mailing list
8 > can understand that definition
9
10 Got a direct link to that definition? :)
11
12 >>> Don't stress about it, your question is on the order of magnitude of
13 >>> wondering if 5 horses or 4 camels are better for carrying one paper bag
14 >>> of groceries home from the supermarket. The truth is, the basket in
15 >>> front of granny's bicycle is perfectly adequate, and probably faster
16 >>> too
17 >>
18 >> LOL!!
19
20 Will need to remember this one.
21
22 >> So, you're saying that other than at compile time I won't notice the
23 >> difference?
24 >
25 > You will notice the grunt those i7s can deliver when you start to do
26 > this (sort of typical for mine...):
27 >
28 > 3 virtualbox vms running, 1 Windows for IE and Office
29 > 30 tabs open in firefox
30 > emerge world going on set to -j32 -l8
31 > 30-odd konsole tabs open, often more than half tailing a log file at
32 > more than 200 lines a minute
33 > the usual desktop apps (mail, skype, movie playing in one corner)
34 >
35 > I sort of just keep loading it up till I run out of things to leave
36 > open, and never notice the difference. This is an 8 core i7 with 16G RAM
37 > and 128G SSD - complete total overkill for any rational usage, even a
38 > busy devops sysadmin - but we get good prices on the company corporate
39 > account
40
41 Can you give me the full speclist of your machine with the part-numbers?
42 I am checking if a new machine will fit my budget and your workload looks
43 similar to mine :)
44
45 > It all comes down to what you really *need* as opposed to how much
46 > techie-bling you *want* :-)
47
48 The *need* versus *want* is always important to keep in mind.
51 Joost