From: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Need help discovering what's using a port (for cvsd)
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 23:03:42
1 A few years ago I was working on a programming project. I installed a
2 cvsd server on our server box and checked in/checked out the project
3 whenever I felt like working on it (it would have gotten majorly screwed
4 up if the only copy of the project lived on my personal workstation -
5 hence using cvsd). Anyway, I got busy with other things and forgot
6 about that particular programming project. At some point over the last
7 few years, cvsd got unmerged. I remerged it today and have been trying
8 to get it to work. I checked the repository directory and the files I
9 need are still there. I can't get the server to start. I tried
10 running /etc/init.d/cvsd start and it failed with the [!!] thing. I
11 catted the script and saw that the executable for the cvsd server lives
12 at /usr/sbin/cvsd, so I tried calling it directly:
13 carter log # /usr/sbin/cvsd --debug
14 cvsd: debug: reading config file (/etc/cvsd/cvsd.conf)
15 cvsd: debug: done reading config file
16 cvsd: debug: cvscmd: /bin/cvs
17 cvsd: debug: cvsargs[0]: cvs
18 cvsd: debug: cvsargs[1]: -f
19 cvsd: debug: cvsargs[2]: --allow-root=/root
20 cvsd: debug: cvsargs[3]: pserver
21 cvsd: debug: cvsenv[0]: HOME=/
22 cvsd: debug: cvsenv[1]: PATH=/bin
23 cvsd: debug: cvsenv[2]: SHELL=/bin/sh
24 cvsd: debug: cvsenv[3]: TMPDIR=/tmp
25 cvsd: debug: cvsenv[4]: CVSUMASK=027
26 cvsd: version 1.0.7 starting
27 cvsd: debug: binding 0.0.0.0 2401 family=2 socktype=1 protocol=6
28 cvsd: listening on 0.0.0.0 2401
29 cvsd: debug: binding :: 2401 family=10 socktype=1 protocol=6
30 cvsd: bind() failed: Address already in use
31 cvsd: version 1.0.7 bailing out
32 carter log # netstat -anp | grep 2401
33 carter log #
34
35 Nothing. I hope I'm using the netstat command correctly. I wrote in to
36 a linux list years ago asking how to find out which process is using a
37 port, and they said to grep `netstat -anp` for whatever port I was
38 looking for. Anyway, when I ran netstat -anpv, I got some errors:
39
40 netstat: no support for `AF IPX' on this system.
41 netstat: no support for `AF AX25' on this system.
42 netstat: no support for `AF X25' on this system.
43 netstat: no support for `AF NETROM' on this system.
46 I assume these are kernel options, but without knowing specific symbol
47 names, I'm not sure how to compile them into the kernel. Can anyone
48 give me any advice on this situation?