From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 07:24:29
1 On 26/08/2022 00:56, Dale wrote:
2 > Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> On 25/08/2022 19:59, Dale wrote:
4 >>> While at it, can I move the drives on LVM to another system without
5 >>> having to copy anything?  Just physically move the drives and LVM see
6 >>> them correctly on the new system?  I may try to build a small computer
7 >>> for a NAS soon.  I'm not sure what is the least I can buy that will
8 >>> perform well.  I need to look into small mobos to see what options I
9 >>> have.  I mostly need a CPU to handle moving files, memory to pass it
10 >>> through and lots of SATA ports.  I figure a fast card for most SATA
11 >>> ports.
12 >>
13 >> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid
14 >>
15 >> That might be a good read ... I know I push it a bit, but it does go
16 >> into disk management a decent bit.
17 >>
18 >> If you can think of any improvements, they'll be welcome! :-)
19 >>
20 > It seems I've been to that link before, may even have it bookmarked,
21 > somewhere.  I'll give it another read tho.  After all, it has to be good
22 > or you wouldn't share it.  ;-)
23 >
24 I think it's saved a lot of bacon over the years :-) Even if I've mostly
25 edited it. I haven't written much of it from scratch.
26
27 Cheers,
28 Wol