From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo older versions
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 18:29:32
1 On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Nitin Kanaskar <nitinvk04@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Ok - I am not clear about the terminology -
4 > packages, versions...
5 > But i need to install gentoo 2004/2005 - if this
6 > is right. I am a graduate student doing research on
7 > vulnerabilities, exploits and IDS. Hence I am looking
8 > for older gentoo installations which i know have
9 > some vulnerabilities.
10 > If i have to build whole OS from source, I am willing
11 > to do that - but could not find any resource on that
12 > old stuff.
13 >
14 > Hope I am clear about why I am looking for
15 > such old stuff.
18 i hope you are already a subscriber of the great mailing list:
19 full-disclosure
20 i dont think gentoo/portage is the easiest software to look at for old
21 vulnerabilities, reason is, portage will syncronise with current 'version'
22 so you probably want to look at older version of the portage package or
23 older version of some other software.
24
25 if you prefer to go toward some other software, checkout
26 insecure.org(nmap's former official website) there is a section for
27 mailing lists and
28 links to that full disclosure list with archives. High volume list,
29 vulnerabilites are disclosed about all kinds of software (90% linux software
30 and some of other OSes).
31
32 Good luck!