From: Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:58:18
1 On 1/27/07, Jeffrey Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 27 January 2007 18:14, Jürgen Geuter wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 18:40 +0200, Vlad Dogaru wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > One question though: is there a reason why PORTAGE_TMPDIR does not
6 > > > default to /tmp?
9 > >Many people have an extra partition
10 > > for /tmp that is mounted noexec to give people less opportunity to mess
11 > > around with the system (for example build weird binaries for local root
12 > > exploits).
13 > >
14 > > Apart from that it's often useful to have all ebuild-related stuff in
15 > > one place
16 >
17 > I would add that since /tmp is often cleaned on boot-up, /var/tmp is
18 > considered a "less temporary" place than /tmp. For example, if you hose
19 > your /opt/foo directory, then assuming you have an appropriate version
20 > of /foo in /var/tmp/portage, when you re-emerge "foo" it will skip steps that
21 > don't need to be done again (because they have already been completed and
22 > left results in /var/tmp/portage).
23
24 Thanks to everyone for all your help and for the clarification.
25
26 Have a nice day,
27 Vlad
30 How's my English? How about my Netiquette?
31 Do mail me if something is wrong with my behaviour. Thank you.
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list