From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seek advice: converting Sabayon to Gentoo ?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:59:48
1 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2
3 > I try to keep up to date, but I am not a computer scientist, so I often will
4 > tolerate some sloppiness in the system, and may overlook maintainance.
5
6 You can certainly overlook maintenance with Gentoo, and mainly do
7 security updates only. The problem is that Gentoo is in a constant
8 "running change mode", i.e. all individual packages (applications etc.)
9 are continually upgraded and you will eventually fall behind if you
10 don't keep up, making it difficult to catch up without reinstalling
11 (there are no Gentoo versions as in the binary distro sense). On the
12 other hand Gentoo gives you a lot of freedom to tweak the installed
13 software to fit your precise needs, something that binary distros
14 doesn't allow. This is the reason why I use Gentoo.
15
16 HTH
17
18 Best regards