From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 05:45:19
1 On Tue, August 20, 2013 00:20, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:11:46 +0100, thegeezer wrote:
3 >
4 >> i almost would like to request tighter integration between
5 >> portage/kernel building/initrd
6 >
7 > The kernel build system can also build the initramfs if you give it the
8 > location of the config file. That way the initramfs is built for each
9 > kernel, using the currently installed versions of the various tools.
10
11 Yes, it's a little bit easier then manually adding a new initramfs.
12 But as I update userspace more frequently then the kernel, that would
13 still lead to a version discrepency.
14 I need to always remember to rebuild the initramfs when a part of
15 userspace that sits in the initramfs is updated. An automatic option there
16 would be usefull.
17 If it were included into the kernel, I would need to rebuild the kernel
18 after every update. Just redoing the initramfs is less of a waste of CPU.
21 Joost