From: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] NIC setup? slow transfer speed
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:11:22
1 Hi
2
3 I have a home LAN with a mix of dual boot, XP and Gentoo[<-- mine].
4 Now the basic problem is this :-
5 Transfer of file [eg. 200Mb]
6 Dual boot on XP -- XP speed approx 50Mbps
7 Dual boot on linux -- XP speed <= 1Mbps
8
9 Now this applies regardless of transport ie. I have tried smb FTP NFS,
10 I have been tweaking the smb performance which did improve it though
11 not beyond the figures above
12 http://www.dd.iij4u.or.jp/~okuyamak/Documents/tuning.english.html
13
14 However I cannot believe that this is the best that can be acheieved
15 ie. it would not be acceptable in an enterprise environment yet smb
16 servers are used with windows clients in such places so
17
18 my question is, where am I not looking?
19 Could it be the nic driver?
20 or setup of same ?
21 or something obvious I am not looking at?
22
23 Any pointers at places of investigation are welcome.
24
25 stu
29 "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
30 binary, those who don't"
31
32 --Unknown
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list