From: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] NIC setup? slow transfer speed
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:11:22
Hi

I have a home LAN with a mix of dual boot, XP and Gentoo[<-- mine].
Now the basic problem is this :-
Transfer of file [eg. 200Mb]
Dual boot on XP    --  XP  speed approx 50Mbps
Dual boot on linux    --  XP  speed <= 1Mbps

Now this applies regardless of transport ie. I have tried smb FTP NFS,
I have been tweaking the smb performance which did improve it though
not beyond the figures above
http://www.dd.iij4u.or.jp/~okuyamak/Documents/tuning.english.html

However I cannot believe that this is the best that can be acheieved
ie. it would not be acceptable in an enterprise environment yet smb
servers are used with windows clients in such places so

my question is, where am I not looking?
Could it be the nic driver?
or setup of same ?
or something obvious I am not looking at?

Any pointers at places of investigation are welcome.

stu

--
"There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
binary, those who don't"

--Unknown