From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] guest additions for vbox-1.6 gentoo guest on xp host
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 11:24:37
1 de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
2
3 > Verifying archive integrity... All good.
4 > Uncompressing VirtualBox 1.6.0 Guest Additions for Linux installation
5 > ....
6 > ...
7 > VirtualBox 1.6.0 Guest Additions installation
8 > Which: no dkms in
9 > (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin...)
10 > Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel module...
11 > Building the shared folder support kernel module...
12 > Installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions...
13 >
14 > Could not set up the X Window VBoxClient service.
15 > To start the VBoxClient service at log-in for a given user, add the
16 > command 98vboxadd-xclient to the file .xinitrc in their home directory.
17 > Successfully installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions.
18 > Your must restart....
19 >
20 > The Auto-Resize Guest Display in the vbox does not work, and seemless
21 > mode is grayed out.
22 >
23 > Also the screen size in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not work as it
24 > should.
25 >
26 > Any inputs appreciated.
27 >
28 > Thanks,
31 > --
32 > Valmor de Almeida
37 Well, first I'd do a "dmesg | grep vbox" to see if there are any errors
38 listed.
39
40 When I do a search for 98vboxadd-xclient on my Debian-Etch guest I find
41 /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98vboxadd-client. This is a script that starts
42 /usr/bin/vboxadd-client with no options. If you tried the suggestion in
43 the output about adding it to .xinitrc, try running
44 /usr/bin/vboxadd-client from an xterminal.
45
46 Another thing, check to make sure that xorg.conf has "vboxvideo" as the
47 driver in the "Device" section. "grep vbox /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
48
49 Searches for dkms show that it's the Dynamic Kernel Module Support, a
50 framework used to generate Linux kernel modules whose sources do not
51 generally reside in the Linux kernel. If nothing else works, you may
52 want to check the guest kernel config for any options that allow you to
53 build modules from non-kernel sources (out of tree). For example, there
54 are a few CRC options in the Library routines section. That said, I
55 doubt this is the case since the modules seem to actually build okay.
56 The DKMS line may just be an informational message.
57
58 How did you install virtualbox? Make sure the Guest additions cd you're
59 using is the same version as the virtualbox install you have. If you
60 installed from portage, but downloaded the additions from the site, they
61 almost certainly don't match. VB 1.5.6 is the latest version in the
62 tree, with 1.5.4 being the latest stable (x86 and amd64) version.
63 (app-emulation/virtualbox-additions is in the tree)
66 Note two things though:
67 1: Everything I suggested refers to inside the guest OS, and
68 2: my info is from version 1.5.4_OSE.
69 It's possible the vboxadd-client script is different in 1.6.
70
71 Hope this helps, post any error messages you see,
72
73 PaulNM
77 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list