From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 11:34:42
1 On Tuesday, 5 February 2019 07:55:41 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3
4 > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#Security_issues
7 > From what I read, no users had their passwords compromised in those.
8
9 I read it differently. LastPass didn't know if any passwds were compromised
10 (or wouldn't tell you). As a precaution they asked users to change their
11 master passwd, while they changed their server's salt. In addition, there
12 were XSS vulnerabilities later on, which is probably to be expected with
13 JavaScript and similar technologies.
16 > As
17 > I pointed out earlier, the passwords are already encrypted when they are
18 > sent to LastPass. If I called LastPass, could prove I am who I claim to
19 > be and asked them for a password to a site, they couldn't give it to me
20 > because it is encrypted when it leaves my machine.
21
22 I don't know exactly how the LastPass architecture is configured, other than
23 it relies on device based encryption activated with JavaScript, but anomalies
24 they observed in incoming and outgoing traffic on the 2011 incident indicate
25 someone was interfering with their data streams. Given Diffie-Hellman could
26 be compromised (e.g. as per Logjam) by precomputing some of the most commonly
27 used primes in factoring large integers, it may be someone was undertaking
28 comparative analysis to deduce ciphers and what not. If the server salt was
29 obtained, then one layer of encryption was compromised.
30
31 All this is juxtaposition and my hypothesizing does not mean LastPass is not
32 useful, or not secure. It just means its design is not as secure as locally
33 run simpler encryption mechanisms, which do not leave your PC and are not
34 stored somewhere else.
35
36 The greater surface area a security system exposes, the higher likelihood
37 someone will take a punt at cracking it. A browser, sandboxed or not, has far
38 too many moving parts and exposed flanks to keep crackers and state actors
39 busy. I expect with advances in AI this effort will accelerate
40 logarithmically.
43 > As I pointed out to Rich, I don't expect these tools to be 100%. There
44 > is no perfect password tool or a perfect way to manage them either. No
45 > matter what you do, someone can come along and poke a hole in it. If
46 > you use a tool, the tool is hackable. If you use the same password that
47 > is 40 characters long for several dozen sites, then the site can be
48 > hacked and they have the password for those other sites as well. The
49 > list could go on for ages but it doesn't really change anything. We do
50 > the best we can and then hope it is enough. Using tools is in my
51 > opinion better than not using a tool at all. At the least, they will
52 > have a hard time breaking into a site directly without my password. It
53 > beats the alternative which is cutting off the computer and unplugging
54 > it. :-(
55
56 Yes, well said. A disconnected and switched off PC is probably quite secure,
57 but what use is this to anybody. LOL! The effectiveness of PC security is
58 challenged on a daily basis and you eventually have to arrive at a personal
59 trade-off between security and usability.
62 Regards,
63 Mick