From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any real need to switch python targets back and forth every month?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 10:44:39
1 2018-07-25 18:20 GMT+03:00 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>:
2 > On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 7:58 AM Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> After today's emerge-webrsync, I have found that python_targets
5 >> and python_single_targets use flags have been changed again
6 >> from python3_5 to python3_6, which leads to a lot of recompilation.
7 >>
8 >> It already happened last month and a week later the both use flags
9 >> was changed back, again with a lot of recompilations.
10 >>
11 >> And it was not the first time!
12 >>
13 >> Is any real need to switch python_targets and python_single_target
14 >> back and forth every month?
17 > It's very simple:
18 >
19 > 1. The default was switched to python3.6. This was probably a bit premature.
20 > 2. People complained that this broke their systems, so we reverted the
21 > default back to python3.5.
22 > 3. The problems were fixed, so we switched the default back to python3.6.
23 >
24 > Sorry to have wasted your precious computing time, but hey, people
25 > make mistakes sometimes.
26
27 Before switching python_targets for the first time, you could use your
28 news system to inform Gentoo users that
29 1) you are switching python_targets
30 2) it may be "a bit premature",
31 and so, those who really want to have a stable Gentoo system should
32 1) do such and such changes to their config files and
33 2) wait about 3 months untill all the dust will settle.
34
35 By the way, last time I have tried to set
36 PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5"
37 PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5"
38 in my /etc/portage/make.conf
39 and I got a vary strange errors from emerge afterwards:
40 every time the
41 # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=120 --ask world
42 command was run, a *new* package complained about something
43 and system update aborted.
44
45 I guess from that that the syntax of setting python_targets has been
46 changed lately (may be, it should now be set only in package.use)
47 but nobody informed Gentoo users about it.
48
49 P.S. The said above together with the recent Gentoo signing key issue
50 and sometimes "corrupted" daily portage snapshots that I download by
51 emerge-webrsync make me think that even so called "stable" Gentoo
52 lacks quality control and cannot be considered as stable and suted for
53 those that really need a stable system.