From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Cdrtools installation without suid root
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:37:16
1 Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > 2013/4/29 Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
4
5 > > Do you like people to be able to open security holes?
6 >
7 > Adding an option to enable/disable linkage to libcap does not hurt anybody
8 > it just eases maintaining the package. You can enable it by default if you
9 > wish.
10 >
11 > As long as it is possible to remove libcap from the system the security
12 > hole you are talking about is still there. The option does not change
13 > anything. Currently one could still compile cdrtools without libcap and
14 > afterwards install libcap and use setcap on cdrecord et al. which leads to
15 > the same problem.
16
17 OK, I could create such an option.
18
19 I just don't like people to be able to do this without knowing that there is a
20 potential security problem if the cdrecord binary has been assigned file caps
21 but cdrecord doesn't understand that it is running with enhanced privileges.
22
23 So I hope that from this discussion people here will remember the problem in
24 case that somebody later runs into it.
25
26 Jörg
29 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
30 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)