From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using Intel's icc to compile the whole system?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:25:15
1 On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 08:19:00PM +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Is it possible to compile the complete system with the
5 > icc from the Intel C++ Compiler?
6
7 afaik, no. Too many things rely on gcc-specific extensions.
8 BUT! if you add "icc" to your USEflags, portage will compile things
9 with icc whenever the compile is known not to break. (=
12 > Are there any (performance) gains to be expected on a
13 > system using a Celeron M340 CPU?
16 Most likely. I remember seeing benchmarks showing that gcc is
17 dead-slow compared to icc. But then again, other benchmarks can show
18 comparable performance. My only advice is to try it out if you really
19 want to know.
20
21 W
22 > Thanks,
23 >
24 > Alexander Skwar
25 > --
26 > BOFH Excuse #69:
27 >
28 > knot in cables caused data stream to become twisted and kinked
29 > --
30 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
33 A fine is a tax for doing wrong.
34 A tax is a fine for doing well.
35 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 4 days, 2:41
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list