From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:30:31
1 On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 22 Jun 2011 14:29:58 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> <SNIP>
5 >>
6 >> > Heads up for folks about to do their updates, check into the USE flag
7 >> > fortran to see if you need to add it to yours before updating a bunch of
8 >> > stuff.
9 >> >
10 >> > Dale
11 >>
12 >> This is my one strange, mystery global use flag. It's been turned on
13 >> in make.conf on every Gentoo machine I've run since I started with
14 >> Gentoo in 2002. I've been paranoid to turn it off! :-)
15 >
16 > What is your make.profile?
17 >
18
19 These days it's KDE. (Currently eselect #4)
20
21 > Here it is not set:
22 >
23 > $ euse -i fortran
24 > global use flags (searching: fortran)
25 > ************************************************************
26 > [-      ] fortran - Adds support for fortran (formerly f77)
27 >
28 > local use flags (searching: fortran)
29 > ************************************************************
30 > no matching entries found
31 >
32 >
33 > Although gcc seems to have it hardcoded:
34 >
35 > $ euse -I fortran
36 > global use flags (searching: fortran)
37 > ************************************************************
38 > [-      ] fortran - Adds support for fortran (formerly f77)
39 >
40 > Installed packages matching this USE flag:
41 > sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5
42 >
43 > local use flags (searching: fortran)
44 > ************************************************************
45 > no matching entries found
46 >
47 >
48 > $ ls -la /etc/make.profile
49 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 56 Dec 16  2010 /etc/make.profile ->
50 > ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
51 > --
52 > Regards,
53 > Mick
54
55 Yeah, I don't suggest I need it. I'm just saying I've had it selected
56 for nearly 10 years. I think it was in a lot of example docs, as Dale
57 say, waaaay back. I put it in mine and just left it there. It became
58 almost a superstition with me! ;-)
59
60 As I am a user type and not a dev, I didn't know then, and actually
61 don't now, that something on the system isn't actually programmed in
62 Fortran and that removing it would cause a problem so I've just left
63 it in forever. It never seemed important enough to go figure out since
64 it only directly effected gcc ebuilds which is a big build and not
65 done very often.
66
67 I guess I can stop playing scaredicat and remove it. :-)
68
69 - Mark