From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stop an emerge (compilation), halt the PC, boot and continue the emerge
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 15:56:19
1 On 06/20/16 22:58, Hogren wrote:
5 > Hello !!
6 >
7 > I have a little question about portage.
8 >
9 > There are many big softwares like Firefox, LibreOffice. At a certain
10 > moment, I need to stop the compilation to halt the PC.
11 >
12 > But, when I boot up again the PC and I «emerge --resume», it restart the
13 > compilation process.
14 >
15 > Is there a way to not restart the compilation process ?
16 > I think that if I enter in the temp directory and I type «make && make
17 > install», it will install the software but it will not update portage
18 > database.
21 > Thank you for your response !
22 >
23 > Bye
26 > Hogren
27
28 Hogren,
29 What I do may be of help, but then again, it may be all wrong and one
30 day the gates of hell may open up and swallow mankind because of what I
31 did, but hey, that's life.
32
33 There is the FEATURES entry in make.conf, man make.conf. Within this
34 are two options "keeptemp" and "keepwork". I enable them, then the
35 consequences of which is that stuff is not cleaned up. Hence when I
36 rerun the emerge, the "make" within sees the already existing files and
37 skips them, in other words it does as "make" is expected to do.
38
39 Please bear in mind if you have /var/tmp/portage set up to be a RAM
40 disk of some sort, obviously if you turn your machine off, you'll look
41 the intermediate files, but if you are hard disk based, they will be
42 there when you restart the machine and so when you rerun emerge, the
43 part up until when you killed the emerge originally will be skipped.
44
45 Hope this helps,
46 Andrew