From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FTP Server
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:03:27
1 On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 6 June 2006 18:59, michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 >>> What about sftp? You only need to have ssh running.
6 >>
7 >> What kind of a client do you need to talk to an sftp server?
8 >
9 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SFTP_clients
10 >
11 > plus, of course, the sftp binary that comes with the openssh package.
12
13 Thanks. I guess the question really is: Can the ftp client that's built in to
14 programs like dreamweaver, frontpage, nvu, etc. work with an sftp or vsftp
15 server, or do you need a special client? If my users have to install a special
16 client, they may as well use WinSCP, but ideally, I can find a secure server
17 (although I agree with the comment someone made about "secure ftp" being an
18 oxymoron) that works with the html authoring tool my users already have.
19
20 We all may have our opinions of dreamweaver, frontpage, and nvu, but so do my
21 users, and I support them best if I allow them to use the tool of their
22 choice.
23
24 Ideally, I'd like a solution that works for clients on both OS X and Windows,
25 as I have users of both flavors.
26
27 M
28 --