From: Datty <datty.wtb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Traffic shaping - downstream data
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:30:01
1 Hi all
2
3 I'm looking for some help setting up traffic shaping on my internet
4 connection. I have a bit of an odd setup in that I run a remote VPN server
5 that all of my traffic is pushed through and out on to the internet. As I
6 understand generally it isn't possible to shape incoming traffic but as I
7 have control of the VPN server which pushes the traffic to me I wondered if
8 it was possible to implement something on that side? No traffic other than
9 the VPN tunnel goes out of my home connection.
10
11 I'm trying to do this because I have a service running on one of my home
12 machines that requires around 5kbps constantly with low latency (<200ms),
13 but as my home connection is 750kbps it gets saturated very quickly causing
14 huge spikes in latency. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could
15 achieve this? Generally any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated.
16
17 Thanks for your time
18
19 Oliver