From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Yahoo and strange traffic.
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 22:05:05
1 On Sunday 15 August 2010 22:55:23 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hi folks,
4 > >
5 > > I been noticing the past few weeks that something is communicating with
6 > > Yahoo at these addresses:
7 > >
8 > > cs210p2.msg.sp1.yahoo.com
9 > >
10 > > rdis.msg.vip.sp1.yahoo.com
11 > >
12 > > I thought it was Kopete getting some info, profile pics maybe, from the
13 > > server. Thing is, it does this for a really long time. It is also
14 > > SENDING data as well. I have no idea why it is doing this or what it is
15 > > sending. I closed the Kopete app but the data still carries on. This
16 > > "transfer" has been going for a while now and the only way I can stop it
17 > > is to stop the network, wait a minute or two for it to time out and then
18 > > restart the network.
19 > >
20 > > Anybody have any idea what the heck this is? Is Yahoo up to something?
21 > >
22 > > Some new security issue that I haven't heard of?
23 >
24 > I think it's normal.
25 >
26 > The first address is one of their pool of messaging servers and the
27 > second is a web server, probably like you said for retrieving
28 > additional info. The sending of data could be the http request, or
29 > updating your status/picture/whatever kopete may be doing. You could
30 > try blocking it and see what breaks. :)
31
32 Dale,
33
34 It could also be a weather map, or any number of widgets that get data from
35 the intartubes.
36
37 netstat with -p can help track down the app that has the connection open
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com