From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is --changed-deps going to be *that* useless?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 19:23:08
1 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2018-02-27 11:02, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 >> A combination of --changed-deps, --with-bdeps=y and --deep is bound to
5 >> result in plenty of unnecessary re-emerging.
6 > So, what _is_ the recommended set of emerge flags for regular daily or
7 > weekly updates (assuming no binary packages)?
11 Over the years, I've ended up with this command and options set that
12 seem to work pretty well for most everything.  This is in make.conf:
13
14 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going -v -j5
15 --quiet-build=n -1 --unordered-display"
16
17 After I run eix-sync, I then run emerge -uaDN world and give the updates
18 a looking over, to make sure the USE flags are like I want etc etc.  I
19 started out with fewer options but as issues popped up or options were
20 added that made things work better, they were added.  Some are done in
21 make.conf to make sure they are the default for every command, unless I
22 override it on the command line.  So far, it has resulted in a fairly
23 stable system even if I have some arch packages installed, KDE for
24 example.
25
26 As usual, you may need something different but that has worked for me
27 and could be a starting point at least.
28
29 Hope that helps.
30
31 Dale
32
34
35 P. S.  On the rare occasion I want to add something to the world file, I
36 either do it directly or use --select y to override the -1 in
37 make.conf.  That helps keep the world file from getting cluttered up to
38 no end with things that shouldn't be there.