From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reducing disk usage
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:16:35
1 depends:
2
3 I have been caught with a non-bootable system a few times and its much
4 easier to start from an existing config and go from there (After
5 numerous disasters, I wont use genkernel - even if its supposedly ok
6 these days)
7
8 A (very) few in-tree stuff still seems to want a kernel
9 (vmware-modules?) - not sure what but these days I always keep the last
10 two around as Ive been caught in the past.
11
12 I also do an occasional ext package - sometimes they want kernel source
13 code.
14
15 So yes, on a basic, user system you dont need it. But do something out
16 of the ordinary and its quite handy to keep the source code around...
17
18 YMMV
19 BillK