From: wireless@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:53:28
1 On 11/22/14 13:00, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 1:12 PM, <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The first 100 or so I looked at, are deprecated. They just need somebody
5 >> to 'remove them' the BGO java backlog is being artificially used to
6 >> prevent java work on gentoo. Somebody of authority needs to open
7 >> up java for other folks to work on. Close the 100 oldest bugs
8 >> is a no brainer and a good start, yet nobody will do that, and nobody
9 >> else is allowed to close them. *CONVENIENT* if you hate java and are
10 >> in control.
11
12 > Please don't take this as some kind of rejection. I'd love to see
13 > Gentoo have great Java support. However, I doubt it matters as much
14 > to me as it does to you, so you're the one with the incentive to make
15 > it happen. That's how just about everything that exists in Gentoo got
16 > the way it is - somebody cared and made it happen.
17 >
18 > --
19 > Rich
22 Exactly. So we agree; that is the reason the original post on the idea
23 to move everything external to gentoo core, is a very bad one. Java
24 exists and prospers on Gentoo, mostly in overlays. Formalizing that
25 (original) proposal will only serve to further enshrine the fact that
26 java on gentoo, get's little love and no java-centric developer will
27 every get close to the "core" or gentoo.
30 I'm using java as an example; the science herd and the clustering herd
31 (projects if you like) are in the same boat. I do appreciate your candid
32 and clear responses.
35 James