From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New MySQL doc
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:12:54
1 Chris White wrote:
2 > Here's the initial devspace draft of the new MySQL draft I've been working on:
3 >
4 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~chriswhite/mysql.html
5 >
6 > Comments, etc are welcome.
9 Mysql is bound to localhost by default in Gentoo. I'd add a note and
10 make it blink in gigantic neon letters. That's the number one problem
11 users have in the forums. An explanation of how to change that in the
12 my.cnf and some of the security implications of that would probably be a
13 good idea as well.
14
15 Adding privileges for remote users. You do a good job with adding
16 access from localhost, but there isn't any mention of adding access for
17 a user from any IP. Additionally it might be nice to show how to allow a
18 user access from a particular subnet as well a single IP. You may also
19 want to mention that things like phpmyadmin should connect to localhost
20 if they are on the same server instead of the hostname which is a common
21 mistake.
22
23 The root user is just a convention. I've also seen a number of post
24 where users seem to think that the root user is somehow special in Mysql
25 rather than a Gentoo/distro default user that has been granted admin
26 privileges. You might want to shoot for a much broader explanation of
27 users accounts than what you currently have mostly centering around the
28 fact that Mysql accounts are separate from system accounts.
29
30 On the subject of USE variables you may want to mention that in 4.0.x
31 innodb is not turned on by default while in 4.1.x or greater it will be
32 due to a request from upstream. Also mention that innodb will need to be
33 turned on within the my.cnf file as it is not on by default.
34
35 Another common forum question is how to completely remove all Mysql
36 databases and start from scratch though there might be less call for
37 this if users are able to set Mysql up correctly from the get go. How to
38 reset the admin password is another common question in the same vein.
39
40 If you're aiming for a more complete doc, you might also want to
41 demonstrate a SELECT * FROM $table WHERE $field LIKE '%$string%' as
42 that's another handy select beginners will find useful. Also adding
43 LIMIT 10 or COUNT (*) are other good ones. Some mention of mysqldump and
44 restoring from a dump might also be interesting. myisamchk and turning
45 on bin-logs for data recovery if needed would also be nice. And finally
46 the default my.cnf isn't tuned towards a dedicated Mysql installation.
47 Users may want to at my-huge.cnf in
48 /usr/share/doc/mysql-version/conf-sampples. Most of this last part is
49 probably way outside your planned scope, but it is stuff that has come
50 up on the forums.
51
52 All in all this is a well written and readable doc. It'll help a number
53 of users. Nice job.
54
55 kashani
56 --