From: Joshua Schmidlkofer <joshland@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LDAP + Samba as PDC
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:04:21
1 > Sorry for taking this long, rough week. I didn't understand your
2 > answer. The Linux box you're talking about is the Samba server?
3
4 Yes, the Samba server
7 > What is Winbind? Or nss_ldap?
10 How did you setup a PDC without using either nss_ldap or winbind?
11
12 nss_ldap:
13 * requires modification to /etc/ldap.conf
14 * requires the nss_ldap package.
15 * requires modification of /etc/nsswitch.conf
16
17 winbind:
18 * requires the winbind flag for the samba ebuild
19 * requires modification of /etc/nsswitch.conf
20
21 getent passwd
22 * returns users
23 * returns workstations & servers also they will have a '$' at the end
24 of the username).
25
26 Normally this is completed via nss_ldap, but I have used winbind
27 before, for the sake of not depending on the bleeding sore that is
28 nss_ldap. So, how is the local box finding the network users? From
29 your config, it appears that you are using smb-ldap tools, but is that
30 the case? If you cat /etc/passwd - do you see the users?
31
32 What does /etc/ldap.conf look like?
33
34 Sincerely,