From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is iptables needed on a Bridge
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:44:43
1 On Sunday 12 February 2006 20:58, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] is iptables needed on a Bridge':
3 > Just got a bridge setup to put in to monitor network traffic. I wonder
4 > if there's a need to put in iptables/ebtables into it.
5
6 While I have seen iptables rules like -i br0 -o br0 ACCEPT, I do not think
7 they are necessary normally. I know my bridge device will move traffic
8 from eth0 to eth1 and vice-versa without iptables (I don't think it's even
9 in my kernel).
10
11 > the bridge(br0) does not have an ip address.
12
13 That seems wrong to me, my bridge device (between the two GB eithernet
14 ports on my MB) does indeed get an IP address and neither eth0/1 gets one.
15
16 Might check this out:
17 http://www.headnut.org/files/linux-gentoo_bridge_guide.txt
20 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.