From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: grub2 defaults
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:12:28
1 On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:42:51 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > > So when I get the Grub2 (ascii) boot menu and just select the
4 > > > default, it boots kernel-3.13.7-gentoo, despite
5 > > > 'kernel-3.13.6-gentoo' being set in as the default for Grub2?
6 >
7 > > DEFAULT, if not set to a number, matches the title or --id of a menu
8 > > entry, not the kernel name (you could have several entries with the
9 > > same kernel).
10 > Do you have syntax examples for --id, or is that just a generic
11 > descriptor?
12
13 --id "some string" - it's in the info pages.
14
15 > So would the option for local kernel versioning built into the
16 > kernel be recognized by grub2 to distinguishing between differnent
17 > (locale) versions of the same kernel version?
18 >
19 > menuconfig--> General Setup--> Local version-append to kernel release
20 > ???
21
22 You want the name of the menuentry, not the name of the kernel. I use a
23 custom script to generate the entries, but running the standard 10linux
24 script here produces entries like
25
26 menuentry 'GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.13.7-gentoo'
27
28 You would need to match on that for DEFAULT.
29
30 > OR:
31 > So how do I know which number matches which kernel, since using the
32 > name does not match them up as desired to select to boot?
33
34 By looking at grub.cfg. Unfortunately, this changes each time you add a
35 kernel, the number for that older one increments each time.
36
37 If you have a particular entry you want to boot, you may be better off
38 defining a menu entry for it in /etc/grub.d/40_custom, then you can set
39 the name for it and your DEFAULT setting should work.
43 Neil Bothwick
44
45 Micro-: (prefix) anything both very small and very expensive.