From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] XML-Parser missing -- is it bad perl? IT WAS
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 08:57:21
1 maxim wexler schreef:
2 >>That's one way. Perl-cleaner can also be found in
3 >>/usr/portage/dev-lang/perl/files.
6 > #perl-cleaner allmodules
7 >
8 > did the deed. Thanks Holly. BTW, where are these
9 > modules and how do they differ from the ones residing
10 > under /lib/modules?
13 The modules in /lib/modules belong to the kernel for those 'drivers'
14 specified to be compiled as modules (rather than statically compiled
15 into the kernel itself), as well as those outside kernel modules that
16 may be compiled later-- like the ATI video drivers used on my system,
17 which are not compiled as part of the kernel compilation process (being
18 a separate, proprietary download), but are compiled *against* the kernel
19 afterwards, then inserted into /lib/modules/kernel-version (because they
20 are ultimately kernel drivers, responsible for detecting and supporting
21 a piece of system hardware).
22
23 The Perl modules are found in /usr/lib/perl5/perl.versi.on, and have
24 nothing to do with the kernel, but similarly expand the capabilities of
25 Perl and Perl-based operations in the same way that kernel modules
26 expand (or restrict) the capabilities of the kernel to detect specific
27 hardware.
28
29 But that's what a module is all about, anyway. The 'problem' in this
30 case is that (imo based on my experience):
31
32 1) certain "unrelated" programs that depend on/use Perl operations (as
33 opposed to Python or Java or some other language) for their functioning
34 further require that Perl have certain modules installed for the
35 program's Perl-dependent functioning to work (you can see why Firefox
36 would need Perl to be able to read and parse XML if Firefox was going to
37 use Perl in some respect, given that XML is used frequently in web-pages
38 of various sorts), and
39
40 2) certain Perl modules (notably the XML Parser, in my experience) tend
41 strongly towards "breakage" when Perl is upgraded (meaning not that any
42 given module itself actually 'breaks', but that said module is not
43 successfully transferred/registered to associate itself with the new
44 version as the majority of other previously-installed modules are).
45
46 I found this to occur most often during 'moderate' upgrades of Perl
47 (from 5.x.whatever to 5.y.whatever), rather than for 'minor' upgrades
48 (5.8.x to 5.8.y), but it can occur at any time. Therefore-- since I
49 refuse at this time to become expert in the workings of the mind of
50 Perl-- I've just trained myself to run perl-cleaner after any upgrade to
51 Perl (which doesn't happen that often, really), as advised by the emerge
52 process itself:
53
54 > eerror "You have had multiple versions of perl. It is recommended"
55 > eerror "that you run perl-cleaner now. perl-cleaner will"
56 > eerror "assist with this transition. This script is capable"
57 > eerror "of cleaning out old .ph files, rebuilding modules for "
58 > eerror "your new version of perl, as well as re-emerging"
59 > eerror "applications that compiled against your old libperl.so"
62 It's a pain (because perl-cleaner does take a while, but it's still
63 faster than the previous 'perl-rebuilder' or whatever it was called, and
64 also seems more reliable and 'professional' than that script), but hey,
65 that's life with Linux (some things are a pain), and $DEITY bless Gentoo
66 for having a tool to handle this with the minimum disturbance possible
67 (the agonizing wait is unavoidable, but everything else is automated...
68 and that would be Gentoo, in a nutshell :-D).
69
70 HTH,
71 Holly
72 --