From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using Portage/emerge
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:26:39
1 Magnus Johansson wrote:
2
3 > Hi!
4 >
5 > I'm very new to gentoo. I've installed qmail and wanted to use the same
6 > patches that I'm used to so I did it the old way, download source, patch
7 > and install. Now, how do I tell Portage/emerge that qmail is actually
8 > already installed? (How should I have done it?)
9
10 emerge --inject qmail
11 shuld do that
12
13 Also if you want personal patching you will discover it's easy make a
14 portage overlay in /usr/local/portage
15 saying to portage that you wont use it putting in /etc/make.conf
16 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
17
18 copy /usr/portage/mail-mta/qmail /usr/local/portage/mail-mta/qmail
19 edit the ebuild and search for "epatch" to see what gentoo ebuild already do
20 should be quite easy add your patches, and if you don't understand
21 something probably it's documented ;)
22 when finished you will need to run "ebuild path/name.ebuild digest" and
23 emerge it
24 still one thing, if u don't want it to be overwritten from future
25 version mask higer version in /etc/portage/package.mask
26
27 excuse me if I give u only some guidelines and not a full guide but it's
28 too much for a mail and all is well documented :)
29
30 P.S.
31 Obviously this has a sense if you intend to maintain that system or if
32 you need to install more systems, for une shot build it's expensive.
33
34 ciao francesco
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list