From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [NOT SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Sound not sounding
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 17:59:59
1 On Saturday, 26 March 2022 17:14:52 GMT Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 10:02 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Saturday, 26 March 2022 15:14:11 GMT ny6p01 wrote:
5 > > > Just a shot in the dark, but is alsasound service starting correctly?
6 > >
7 > > It doesn't run at all, not even while I'm listening after restarting PA. I
8 > > have alsa-lib, alsa-topology-conf, alsa-ucm-conf and alsa-plugins
9 > > installed, but 'ps -ax | grep alsa' finds nothing. Also, I have no
10 > > alsasound service.
11 > >
12 > > I assume that PA doesn't need a running alsa process to function.
13 > >
14 > > --
15 > > Regards,
16 > > Peter.
17 >
18 > PA might not (or doesn't - my system has no alsa processes) need alsa
19 > processes but it almost certainly using Alsa drivers.
20 >
21 > lsmod | grep snd
22 > lsmod | sound
23 >
24 > However those depend on what you build as modules vs hard code into
25 > your kernel.
26 >
27 > ls /proc/asound would give you a view into what function, if any, alsa is
28 > performing.
29
30 I think since this sound problem has been narrowed down to a difference
31 between users on the same machine, it must be a userspace process issue.
32 Kernel driver problems would be universal and dmesg would complain about it.
33
34 If the same ~./mozilla profile is reproducing the problem on the other user's
35 account, which hitherto played sound without any desktop gymnastics, then the
36 problem is firefox related. Starting with an empty firefox profile on the
37 same user will also help identify if the firefox configuration, addons and its
38 sandboxing, or pa is to blame. Starting both firefox and pa from a terminal
39 may also provide some related output.