From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:28:37
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Iain Buchanan [mailto:iaindb@××××××××××××.au]
3 > Sent: 31 January 2006 08:11
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a
6 > formatted hard disk
9 > On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 07:27 +0000, Stroller wrote:
10 > > On 31 Jan 2006, at 01:03, Grant wrote:
11 > >
12 > > > Hello! I've heard that data can be recovered from a
13 > formatted hard
14 > > > disk.
15
16 Just to reinforce the previous answers: Yes, it is possible. You can
17 delete partition(s) with fdisk, later on re-create it and your data will
18 be there as if you never deleted it. If you use shred, or dd with some
19 random bit input, then it will be proportionately more difficult to
20 recover your data with commonly availably means. Now, if you have
21 access to the NSA hardware recovery tools almost anything will be partly
22 recoverable. On customers disks I would use shred and offer no
23 guarantees of non-recoverability. On mine I prefer a commercial grade
24 12,000rpm angle grinder . . . :-D
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick