From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing an old glibc to run a proprietary commercial tool (would that even help?)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:24:19
1 On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 10:01 -0400, Duncan Smith wrote:
2 > The company I work for is using gentoo on all its machines. We just
3 > got a license to a commercial tool which does not support gentoo. The
4 > closest thing it supports is RHEL v4.
5 >
6 > Running any command provided by the tool results in an explosive
7 > memory leak (virtual memory hits 400G in 1 second, and continues to
8 > climb).
9 >
10 > I suspect the problem is that RHEL v4 uses =sys-libs/glibc-2.3.4,
11 > whereas we have =sys-libs/glibc-2.9_p20081201-r2 installed.
12 >
13 > I have three questions:
14 > 1. Am I posting to the right list?
15
16 You are just just as likely to get support from Gentoo about software we
17 have no access to as your distributer is to support Gentoo.
18
19 > 2. Any idea what's going on? Could it be something other than glibc
20 > causing the problem?
21
22 It could be one of a hundred million things. Without access to the
23 program it's really hard to tell.
24
25 > 3. If it is glibc, is there some way to install glibc slotted? Could
26 > I install an old version of glibc to some other lib folder (like
27 > /opt/lib64), and then use LD_LIBRARY_PATH somehow to get the tool to
28 > look there first? How?
29
30 You can't have multiple versions of glibc. And you can't downgrade
31 glibc. Attempting to do so may result in having more than just that
32 program misbehaving ;)
33
34 My suggestion, for your sanity and support: if you insist on Gentoo then
35 at least run RHEL4 (or CentOS or whatever) inside a virtual machine and
36 run your app from there.