From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rpm or deb package installs
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 16:05:06
1 Bill Kenworthy <billk <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
4 > rpm is just a wrapper around a an archive with instructions on how to
5 > build and or install it. I have more experience with rpm's but I
6 > believe debs are the same. Just unwrap your .rpm/.deb file of choice
7 > and install it manually (the binaries/code are usually in a zip inside
8 > the rpm). You should in most cases also be able to get a source rpm
9 > (which I suspect you are talking about anyway, but binaries do work deps
10 > permitting.
11
12 Yes the point is to be able to rapidly/easily be able to test and evaluate
13 many cluster/hpc codes, and other codes too, before I open them up
14 and look at them in detail, manually.
17 > you can install rpm and then install your package via rpm - seem to
18 > remember doing this with .debs somehow too. deps are a problem but
19 > usually workable.
20
21 This is the argument for setting up an entire RH or debian workstation
22 to quickly evaluate the codes to find that less than %5 which are fast
23 and worthy of a deeper look. There are dozens of 'schedulers' for clusters
24 and then the concept of a 'framework' is even more loose or unconstrained
25 and the myriad of associated codes (modules) that one can use. It fact many
26 are pushing 'write your own framework'. It's hard to
27 categorize codes into a discernible 'stack' when it comes to HPC or cluster
28 offerings. Apache says one thing, a guy writing a book says another. It's
29 like the wild wild west with lots of folks (mostly large corps) shoot from
30 the hip and shooting off at the mouth. Many idiots and deceivers in this
31 space; and I intend to benchmark, profile and expose some of the myths.
32
33 So then I'll unpack the sources onto a gentoo system for deep examination
34 and low level (profile ) testing and evaluation and maybe creating an
35 ebuild if I like what I see. Distributing bloatware across a cluster
36 or on a HPC system, is a fools errand, imho, but that is exactly what
37 many are doing. It's very hard to figure out if they are 'flim_flam' artists
38 or sincerely belief their own musings.
41 > and why set up a workstation? - this sort of thing is tailor made for
42 > vm's. Create a base for your experiments with essential packages,
43 > settings etc, snapshot it (golden master) and then throwaway->restore
44 > when finished with that iteration.
45
46 Ultimately, I think a VM or containers environment would be keen. I
47 liked docker, initially, but, like systemd, it is now bloating so much that
48 it is becoming an entire operating system on it's own. Docker is too much
49 for me to worry about and learn. CoreOS is still attractive to me, but
50 it probably too much for me to divert into, at this time. I'm really more
51 after HPC (high performance computing of scientific codes) than clustering
52 of a bizzilion processes (like log/web file analytics). That sort of stuff
53 is not hard to distribute, hadoop is sufficient for those routine, boring
54 codes and processes that are not time_critical. I'll do some of those
55 ordinary tasks but many cluster/hpc solutions already work good enough for
56 routine admin style processes, imho.
59 Big Science solutions using cluster or HPC are still very fragmented
60 if you look at some low level performance data. It takes a very specialized
61 focus to solve a given category of Big Science codes if you want to approach
62 any sort of reasonable robustness. It's like you need
63 a custom designed (HPCC) High Performance Computational Cluster with
64 a unique (at least highly customized and tweaked) implementation for each of
65 the many different possible configuration solutions. This part is evolving
66 on a daily basis, so apologies if it seems sketchy because it is sketchy at
67 best. I think where I'll end up is a myriad of HPCC, architecturally unique,
68 running along side of each other, mostly asleep until needed. It's even more
69 'fluid' when you consider the GPU resources, arm64 processors and the new
70 integrated CISC chips like the amd APU and the Intel+fpga chips.
73 > There are package managers besides gentoo/portage that can do a source
74 > build/install and track the files on gentoo - though portage will not
75 > know about it (rpm is one :)
76
77 Hmmmm. Where do I read more about this?
80 > and lastly, what do mean error prone? - to me a manual install is the
81 > ONLY way you can build a proper ebuild that catches most of the
82 > problems. In the (admittedly few) ebuilds I have done an occasional
83 > human error is nothing compared to system problems for a difficult
84 > package.
85
86 Error prone with manual steps, due to the large amount of codes I
87 am evaluating. Once I get down to less than 5% then the manual
88 processes are fine, if not superior, as I'm also reviewing the codes
89 of interest. It's also me, if I do not impose self_structure, I get
90 sloppy with trying to manually speed things up. Also, if you go
91 back to the days of .configure and look at many different make files,
92 there is little coding consistency among different codes; boost and other
93 lib codes are the best you can hope for on consistency, imho. ymmv.
94
95 OK? Keep in mind that I'm an EE, hardware guy that started with discrete
96 transistors, native assemble and state machines; and C was a luxury, so my
97 perspectives do not often 'jive' with the entire OO world, but, I am trying
98 to get along....... [1]
99
100 > BillK
101