From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] rescuing lvm data
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:10:34
greetings ...

the server in my basement is driving me nuts ... and I start making
mistakes ... sigh

It had a LVM volume group ... consisting of two PVs ...

The question in short:

if I only have one PV at hand, which contains all the PEs of a given LV
... (how) am I able to extract/export/read the contents of that LV?

background:

when I searched for the reason of those crashes, I removed and swapped
and cloned hard disks all around.

Right now I am on a brand new machine and want to sort out harddisks etc.

One PV wasn't detected correctly ("unknown device") even though it had
the correct uuid. I did some "pvcreate -u" on it ... and now those LVs
on it aren't accessible anymore (can't mount or even fsck).

My luck (I hope!): I have a clone of that harddrive.

But I don't want to simply plug it in because I fear to ruin things as I
already messed up that VG further by trying stuff like vgcfgrestore etc.

Yes, my fault.

The clone contains all the blocks for an LV I would like to keep
somehow. So I assume it should be possible to access them?

(explanation why there is no backup: the data is mythtv-stuff, video
which is nice to have, but not critical.)

Thanks, Stefan