From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 100% CPU usage with no processes to blame?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:06:05
1 On Wednesday 14 February 2007, Grant wrote:
2 > I just sat through about 5 minutes of 100% CPU usage and a thrashing
3 > hard disk. I ran top and it reported 0% idle CPU, but the list of
4 > processes totaled maybe 20% CPU usage. How can this be?
5 >
6 > - Grant
7
8 Most likely you only looked at user cpu % and neglected to list the
9 system and niced times as well.
10
11 p.s. golden rule: ps lies. top lies. free lies.
12 Don't believe the readings they give, rather interpret them in context.
13
14 alan
17 Optimists say the glass is half full,
18 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
19 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
20
21 Alan McKinnon
22 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
23 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list