From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to instruct emerge to leave certain stuff alone
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 02:27:18
1 I just ran an emerge world -u and at the beginning there were some
2 errors/warnings about my lines in
3 /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
4
5 I didn't save the error but it indicate my file would be ignored.
6
7 It contained
8 dev-util/cvs
9 app-editors/emacs-cvs
10
11 I didn't want the emerge to mess with emacs. I build my own for yrs
12 now. However rather than investigate and fix, I just commented the
13 line out and proceeded.
14
15 Emerge installed the latest emacs and even overwrote my .emacs-custom
16 file. (Which seems it should not have, if it found one)
17
18 But what I want here now is to know how to handle this in the future.
19
20 That is, how to tell emerge that I want certain packages ignored or
21 left to me.
22
23 Last time around those lines in package.provided were sufficient but
24 apparantly something has changed.
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list