From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: FIXED: Re: KDE3 removal
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:52:43
1 On Saturday 28 November 2009 19:42:33 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 28 November 2009 21:32:28 Mick wrote:
3 > > > I suppose one could make several useful -meta packages DEPEND on kate,
4 > > > as many users want kate and do not want the entire kdesdk package. But
5 > > > that causes the same app to appear in more than one -meta package and
6 > > > the devs seem to want to avoid that - there is a strict one-to-one
7 > > > mapping between what the -meta packages install and what is shipped in
8 > > > the upstream tarballs by KDE
9 > >
10 > > Sorry I'm being rather dense with this ... are you saying that the
11 > > DEPENDs listed when you run 'equery depends -a kate' are different to
12 > > mine because you are running KDE4 from KDE-testing overlay, while I am
13 > > running stable portage?
14 >
15 > No, the contents of the -meta packages are pretty much the same between the
16 > overlay and the official tree (apart from new apps added in the latest KDE
17 > snapshots, and other minor things that get dropped in the new branch of
18 > course).
19 >
20 > The kde-testing overlay provides a collection of sets which the portage
21 > tree does not do. The main set explicitly includes kate because it's part
22 > of kdesdk and it's a bit rich to expect all users to install the entire
23 > dev suite just to get a gui text editor.
24 >
25 > The official tree has the same situation:
26 >
27 > # grep kate /var/portage/kde-base/*-meta*/*4.3.3.ebuild
28 > /var/portage/kde-base/kde-meta/kde-meta-4.3.3.ebuild: $(add_kdebase_dep
29 > kate)
30 > /var/portage/kde-base/kdesdk-meta/kdesdk-meta-4.3.3.ebuild:
31 > $(add_kdebase_dep kate)
32 >
33 > # cat /var/portage/kde-base/kde-meta/kde-meta-4.3.3.ebuild
34 > ...
35 > RDEPEND="
36 > $(add_kdebase_dep kate)
37 > $(add_kdebase_dep kdeadmin-meta)
38 > ...
39 >
40 > To give kate to users, it was added to kde-meta, and it's the only explicit
41 > DEPEND in the ebuild, everything else is the smaller -meta packages.
42 >
43 > To get kate, you must do one of:
44 > 1. emerge kde-meta (or the @kde set)
45 > 2. emerge kdesdk (or the @kdesdk set)
46 > 3. emerge kate
47
48 Thank you kindly for persevering - the logic is clear to me now. :-)
51 Regards,
52 Mick