From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] best cflags and cpu for gentoo qemu virtual machine
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 15:08:58
1 On 17 July 2011, at 13:02, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Saturday, July 16 at 16:54 (+0300), Kfir Lavi said:
3 >
4 >> The mother machine will be Core I7 4 cores.
5 >> What cpu and CFLAGS should I use to get the best performance out of this vm?
6 >
7 > A router is not going to be CPU-bound. Should matter little either way.
8
9 A router is not going to be CPU-bound *on the most modern of hardware*, with no other load.
10
11 An old WRT54G will be CPU-bound on the latest high speed home connections (c 40meg), and I have at least one older PC, maybe 10 years old, still in use, on which performance could be an issue.
12
13 Your statement may apply to Kfir's Core I7 system, but it one should be careful against making such bold statements, less words like "not" be misunderstood be to mean "never".
14
15 Stroller.