From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Removing some retro-isms...
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 17:59:18
1 Hi,
2
3 Currently I am rebuilding a shiny new Gentoo-system on another
4 harddisk "from scratch".
5
6 I think my "old" system have some retro designs and obsoleted
7 mechanisms, because they still work for me and I was too busy
8 with other things, whih quit to work ;)
9
10 My old system uses:
11 - Autofs: for conveniently haveing access directories which mounts
12 things like external harddiscs, usb-sticks, mp3-player, my digicam
13 and such.
14 (No, I DONT like "real" automounters" which tries to mount in
15 that moment, when a device is plugged in. Using the moment of
16 access to a specific directory as trigger for the mount comand
17 is the way to go (at least for me ;) ...BUT: only my two cent...)
18
19 - Encfs to encrypt partitions AND to be able to burn the encoded
20 stuff on DVD and mount and use the DVD instead of the partition.
21
22 My system will be a one-user-desktop system and I will be root and
23 the user.
24
25 I prefer a system, which works and does exactly what told over a
26 system which tries to guess my thoughts ... and will fail therefore.
27
28 Is there anything better, less old or preferable according to both
29 mechanisms mentioned above?
30
31 Best regards and thank a lot for any help in advance!
32 mcc
35 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
36 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
37 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
38 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.