From: Ric Messier <kilroy@×××××××.COM>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good reference for installing windows *after* linux?
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:41:15
1 On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Dave Nebinger wrote:
4 > Anyone out there have a good pointer for me?
7 Install Windows on the second drive as if it were the first (unplug your
8 primary drive).
9
10 Use grub to swap the location of the two drives before you boot Windows
11 after it's installed and you have your drives reconnected as you want
12 them. The word around here is that Windows needs to believe it's on the
13 primary drive in order to work correctly. I happen to know that's not true
14 because I've run Windows installs on secondary drives in the past.
15 However, Windows will install the boot information to the MBR of the
16 primary drive and the boot.ini file will need to accurately reflect where
17 the OS is really stored. I suspect people just feel it's easier to use
18 grub to swap the drives virtually rather than toy with a boot.ini file.
19
20 Ric
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list