From: "Marc A. Kastner" <linux@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: installing Gentoo on a 2007 Macbook
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 23:19:31
1 I used Linux on a couple of different MacBooks. Usually I had the best
2 experience not using rEFInd as an intermediate layer, but as the EFI
3 boot loader loading the kernel file directly. My setup is based on the
4 ArchLinux Wiki article about it. Every time you update your kernel, you
5 just need to copy the vmlinuz to your EFI partition in the right folder.
6
7 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/EFI_stub_kernel
8 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI_Bootloaders#Using_rEFInd
9
10 When using EFI mode, I had a couple of problems, which I haven't had in
11 BIOS mode. Depending on your model, it might not be possible to use
12 brightness settings of your graphics card or using the integrated
13 graphics card (if your model has a discrete one) anymore.
14
15 Another hint for Linux on MBP: For Wifi, you should use the broadcom-sta
16 Version 6.x which is still masked in portage. Older versions had a lot
17 of latency, performance and disconnect issues on my systems.
20 Marc Aurel Kastner
21 Computer Science graduate student
22
23 http://www.marc-kastner.com