From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] idea on updates
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:22:33
1 Well, I know I'm asking for a few flames here, but, this
2 idea just popped into my head and I cannot get rid of it.
5 When you sync and update a system that has not been updated for
6 a while, you get many packages to upgrade. OK usually not a problem.
7 However, myself (and many other folks) are rather lazy: we do
8 not watch the terminal session for hours, looking for those tidbits
9 of info of little pesky admin things to do upon updating a package
10 (let alone dozens of packages).
11
12 We are also lazy: we do not parse the log files looking for those
13 'little pesky admin things to do upon updating a package'
14 either.
17 Much pain results for lots of regular folks, like forgetting to
18 run 'python-updater'. So any ideas on an enhancement/fix?
21 Why, could the dev add an option that parses out all of those
22 pesky admin things into either a singular log file? Or better
23 yet, a gui popup that lists just those instructions for each
24 package. Then a lazy admin could go through them, take whatever
25 action necessary, and then just kill the pop-up.
26
27 Just a thought, I figured I'd put up here for discussion. In fact
28 some of the younger/sharper minds should come up with an even
29 slicker way for those instructions to hang around, so that us
30 lazy admins are forced into a convenient click or 2 to dismiss
31 these little pesky admin caveats....?
32
33 thoughts?
37 James