From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] booting - I don't anystand how the (Linux) world works anymore
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 20:18:47
1 On 06/25/2016 09:39:32 PM, David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 20:33:31 +0200, Helmut Jarausch
3 > (jarausch@××××××.be) wrote about "[gentoo-user] booting - I don't
4 > anystand how the (Linux) world works anymore" (in
5 > <YseLVsRteFjBS+5CTTP64t@7zc0huhpDvqcKwT48Q8b0>):
6 >
7 > [snip]
8 > > So, I came up with root=UUID=uuid_number of the root file
9 > > system.
10 > >
11 > > But to my surprise I now got a kernel panic syncing: VFS: unable
12 > > to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)
13 > >
14 > > So, please tell me what I'm missing?
15 >
16 > How are you configuring the kernel modules to operate your disk
17 > controllers? This situation is usually typical of having more than one
18 > set of disks from which the system can boot.
19
20 Yes, or several partitions on a disk.
21 >
22 > I always statically link the driver that operates the controller that
23 > connects the root device and modprobe the drivers that operate the
24 > other disk controllers. This ensures that the controller for my
25 > /dev/sda device is probed first and its drives get "a", "b" and "c" in
26 > /dev/sd?, and those letters are assigned in device address order on
27 > the controller.
28
29 Thanks Dave,
30 but I do statically link the corresponding device drivers, as well.
31 But I don't understand why my only hard drive is named sdb?
32 It looks as if my kernel named my built-in CDROM device as /dev/sda .
33 And if I have plugged in an USB drive it seems to influence the naming
34 scheme, as well.
35
36 And, to make it even more complicated, once the system is up, it has a
37 different naming scheme.
38 E.g. now my internal hard disk has the name /dev/sda but if I tried to
39 boot by this name it fails.
40
41 For a normal human as me, this is just crazy!
42
43 Helmut