From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL: dev-db/postgresql, dev-db/postgresql-server, or virtual/postgresql-server?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 00:02:17
1 On Monday 22 December 2008 00:07:01 Graham Murray wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > postgresql-server is not something new, it's a new way of packaging an
4 > > existing product. It's like the monolithic/split KDE ebuilds, the new
5 > > split postgresql packages make the dev's life easier, and make it
6 > > possible for you to make more modular choices about what you want support
7 > > for.
8 > >
9 > > Plus, the old packages only go as far a version 8.3.1
10 > > Only the new packages are supported after that version
11 >
12 > The other advantage is that it makes the upgrade process considerably
13 > easier and safer. The new postresql-[base|server|docs] ebuilds are
14 > slotted.
15
16 What's the rationale behind that? I can see why someone might want two or more
17 versions of php, python, perl or mysql.
18
19 But postgresql? I can't imagine why it would be useful to the majority to have
20 SLOTs for postgresql. People tend to run one version doing one major job,
21 which is often not the case for the other examples above.
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com