From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xorg 7 and disappearing mouse device
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 23:46:30
1 Hi all,
2
3 a little while ago I posted that I would like to disable the pointer
4 stick on my laptop but still use the touchpad and usb mouse. Well, it
5 couldn't have been simpler! I have a device for each one
6 (/dev/input/mouse[0-2] and a common device that melds all three together
7 (/dev/input/mice). So I just added two mouse devices to xorg.conf, and
8 two InputDevice's to my serverlayout, and removed the
9 single /dev/input/mice and it works great.
10
11 It also lets me specify Emulate3Buttons on my touchpad, and not the usb
12 mouse (which didn't work previously).
13
14 Well, almost great - here's the problem:
15
16 When I unplug one usb mouse and plug in another (or even the same
17 one) /dev/input/mouse2 disappears and /dev/input/mouse3 appears, so X
18 doesn't use it anymore (no mouse device exists for mouse3.
19
20 However, if I switch to a console before changing mice, the new mouse
21 takes the old position at /dev/input/mouse2, then I switch back to X and
22 it works.
23
24 I need to do this plugging and un-plugging because I have a wired
25 keyboard & mouse at my desk, but I'm frequently moving around our test
26 facility, so I take my wireless mouse with me.
27
28 I don't want to use udev, because I would like a general solution that
29 works for any of my usb mice (OK, I have a few at different locations :)
30
31 Ideally, I would like to make /dev/input/mice use all mice
32 from /dev/input/mouse2 and up (ie. not the stick or touchpad). Can I do
33 that somehow?
34
35 Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks,
39 If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact,
40 proof is necessary.
41 -- Samuel Clemens
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list