From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Richard Kenner <kenner@××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] (dual) booting windows kills the ethernet device for linux
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 02:44:33
1 At Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:04:23 -0500 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> I feel strange writing this since I can hardly believe it.
5 >> However, it seems to be quite repeatable.
6 >>
7 >> I have a new dell latitude E6500 that I set up for dual booting:
8 >> windows 7 and gentoo linux.
9 >>
10 >> The machine seems to have two "hardware" states determined by whether
11 >> windows has been run since power on.
12 >>
13 >> If you power the machine on it goes into what I call State A.
14 >> Now if I either select linux from grub or just use the default we get
15 >>
16 >> linux boots and eth0 works
17 >> reboot
18 >> linux boots and eth0 works
19 >> ...
20 >> reboot
21 >> linux boots and eth0 works
22 >>
23 >> but now reboot into windows and we get State B
24 >> windows boots and eth0 works
25 >> reboot to linux
26 >> linux boots but eth0 fails
27 >> reboot
28 >> linux boots but eth0 fails
29 >> ...
30 >> reboot
31 >> linux boots but eth0 fails.
32 >>
33 >> If I then power the machine off instead of simply rebooting
34 >> we get back to State A
35 >>
36 >> power on
37 >> linux boots and eth0 works
38 >> reboot
39 >> linux boots and eth0 works
40 >>
41 >> etc.
42 >>
43 >> This is quite repeatable. I would greatly appreciate an explanation.
44 >>
45 >> thanks,
46 >> allan
49 > I read about this ages ago. I *think* it was windoze doing some sort
50 > of a shutdown on the card, disabling it or putting it into sleep mode
51 > if you want to call it that. It appears that Linux isn't "waking" the
52 > card up but a power cycle does. It also appears that windoze "wakes"
53 > the card up when it boots.
54 >
55 > I'm pretty sure they found a fix but I can't recall what they did. It
56 > seems they changed some sort of setting in windoze but not real sure.
57 > May want to google the mailing list archives and see if you can find
58 > it. I know it is older than the archives I have here. I keep them
59 > for a year then it dumps them. So it's been a good while. May have
60 > to dig back a while.
61
62 Thank you and thanks to nikos. I have googled a little and the new ones
63 I see are slightly different and the old ones use older versions of the
64 kernel and hence driver. I run gentoo-sources-2.6.34
65
66 > Biggest point of reply, you're not nuts.
67
68 Indeed, I was concerned about that.
69
70 I must say that the problem is easy for me to work around. I hardly
71 ever use windows (maybe once every month or two once the systems are
72 stably installed), so having to power down is no big deal. I was just
73 worried that I had something badly configured.
74
75 thank you both again,
76 allan