From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: felix@×××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the proper usage of module_rebuild?
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 14:51:35
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 15:20 on Monday 16 May 2011, felix@×××××××.com
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > I have an ancient emerge script which does this:
5 >
6 > rm -rf /var/lib/module-rebuild
7 > module-rebuild -C list
8 >
9 > and I do not know why -- did I dream this up myself, or did I inherit
10 > it from somewhere? I do not know.
11 >
12 > At any rate, it seems kind of odd. What is the proper way of using
13 > module_rebuild? It seems to me there are two cases, and maybe that
14 > is why this script has this odd code. If you have just built a brand
15 > new kernel, you might want to rebuild the module list from scratch.
16 > But once you have done that, future emerges only need to keep the
17 > module list up to date.
18 >
19 > And then I realized I don't even know what the module list actually
20 > is.
21 >
22 > Please enlighten me :-O
23
24 Looks like something you dreamed up.
25
26 /var/lib/module-rebuild contains a list of installed out-of-tree modules. You
27 delete the entire directory then list it (to prove that it is empty?)
28
29 I have no idea why you might have wanted to do that back in the day.
30
31 The correct way to use module-rebuild is to run once:
32
33 module-rebuild populate
34
35 This will search the tree to find out-of-kernel-tree module ebuilds you are
36 using and put them in a db or later use.
37
38 Every time you emerge and build a new kernel, run:
39
40 module-rebuild rebuild
41
42 This will build the missing modules for the kernel you just built.
43
44 module-rebuild add|del lets you maintain the list as you add and delete stuff
48 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com