From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What utility do you use to sync user files?
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 19:04:14
1 On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Randy Westlund <rwestlun@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've been using rsync to sync binary files, shell scripts, my
3 > workspace, and random user files under my home directory across
4 > multiple machines. I'm using one server as the master copy, which
5 > makes daily incremental backups of my files to a separate disk with
6 > rsync. At the moment, I have my sync script set up as a Makefile with
7 > the following targets. I run this from multiple workstations.
8 >
9 > It would be nice to use something as easy as svn, but many of my files
10 > are binary. Or something like dropbox would be great. I don't work
11 > from windows, so I don't need a cross-platform solution.
12 >
13 > What utilities do you guys use? Is there a better way to do this? It
14 > would be nice to move everything to the background, but I've already
15 > clobbered a few files by calling this in the wrong order and might
16 > move the Makefile to an interactive script to protect against that. I
17 > have to call 'make clobber' after I remove a local file to push that
18 > change to the server, and if I forgot to call 'make get' first, I have
19 > to fix it manually.
22 Dunno if it's of any value but the new Linux Journal has a pointer to
23 grsync which is in portage and built fine on my system here. It looks
24 interesting in that you can create 'sessions' which probably could do
25 much of what at least I'm doing in simple rsync scripts. I'm going to
26 play with it a bit more but thought I'd point it out as I hadn't heard
27 of it before.
28
29 HTH,
30 Mark